Delegate to the National Council
The National Council is authorized to:
- Elect the National Board of Directors and National Board Development Committee.
- Amend the Constitution.
- Establish requirements for credentials.
- Act on proposals.
- Influence the strategic direction of the Movement by providing guidance to the National Board.
RECOMMENDED SELECTION CRITERIA FOR NATIONAL COUNCIL DELEGATES
Girl Scout councils should elect delegates based on the following criteria:
- Ability to think strategically and focus on the future of the Girl Scout Movement.
- Experience in a policy-influencing or policy-making capacity.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the workings of Girl Scout councils and the Movement.
- Ability to analyze issues from a national, as well as a council, perspective. National Council actions and decisions have Movement-wide implications.
- Commitment to attending council and GSUSA training sessions, in order to be as informed as possible about the issues and democratic process utilized at the National Council Session.
- Willingness to support all the decisions of the National Council.
DUTIES OF A DELEGATE
1. In advance of the National Council Session, each individual elected by the council as a voting member/delegate to the National Council takes personal responsibility to:
- Study all items on the agenda, including background information, and recommendations of the National Board of Directors.
- Attend briefing meetings conducted by the council; participate in council, board, and association meetings; and participate in council forums and focus groups, as requested.
- Obtain a broad array of the opinions of adult members and Girl Scout Seniors and Ambassadors from all parts of the council.
- Participate in teleconferences for voting members, sponsored by the national organization.
- Engage in opportunities to discuss, learn, and share ideas across the Movement.
2. While attending the National Council Session, each voting member is responsible for:
- Attending all business meetings and participating in the proceedings.
- Being fully prepared to participate in discussion and vote on all business items.
3 Upon returning from the National Council Session, each National Council voting member/delegate is prepared to:
- Report at the council’s annual meeting, to the council board of directors, and the council’s constituency (if requested by council Board Chair/president and CEO) on the National Council decisions and the reasons for such decisions.
- Share insights on information gained at the National Council Session, if requested.
- Assist the council as it prepares to participate in the next National Council Session, if requested.
- Participate in teleconferences and other opportunities for voting members/delegates.
Please download and fill out the following forms, and return them by email or regular mail, to:
Jami Pitner Email
1404 North Ash Street, Spokane, WA 99201
National Delegate Application
National Council Delegate Expectation Agreement
For 2014 GSUSA Convention information click here.